Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Norfolk's Newest....

I don't think I slept more than an hour last night worried to death over the safety of our little guys. It was really cold here and so I was so nervous they would just freeze. When the post office hadn't called by 8:30am (when they said they would) I started to mildly panic. However, they did call by 9:00am and we were off to fetch our newest family members!

As soon as we entered the post office you could hear the little guys chirping away!!! I was so anxious to just rip the box open and check on them.
I can HEAR them!!!
I am sure the postal workers were pretty happy we picked them up so promptly. They were LOUD!

I couldn't get out of the post office without ripping the box open and making sure everything was okay. I am so embarrassed by this video and the fact I start crying when I open the box. If I get this emotional over three baby chickens.... I am going to be a WRECK when I am a Mom!
But as we opened the box.... they were all just perfect and happy and HUNGRY! 

They were shipped from Meyer Hatchery in Polk, OH. They had a little nest, heating pads, sponge for water. Perfect little home for their big adventure. They really are the picture of health. 

They settled into their new home and ate all the food and drank all the water we set out. 
We even named the two orange ones, Martha and Betty. I just picture some old hens clucking away in the coop! (the little easter egger will be named by Amelia Baker... more on that later)
The thermometer tells us if it is staying a toasty 95!

However, the highlight of the day was our first born's insane jealousy and curiosity. Moe did not leave their side and has now settled into laying in the box/nest they were shipped in for hours. He doesn't try to "get them" but he just watches and watches and watches. I am sure if he had the chance he would eat them, but for now.... he watches. Baby chicks will "imprint" (just like Twilight) on whatever they assume to be their mother. Usually it is the care giver but since Moe hasn't left their side since the second they got home... we are pretty sure they assume Moe is Mom. They even follow Moe as he circles around the box. It is hilarious. 
Meeting His Sisters!


And Where He Stayed The Next 12 Hours.

Today was an awesome day! I am very excited to be a chicken Mom and Brian is such a great Dad! They have been SO humorous as they attempt to spread their wings and fall over. They peck at each others faces and when they sleep they seriously look dead and just flop on the ground. 

Welcome Home Baby Chickens.... Welcome Home! (okay, temporary brooder, Brian still has to build your actual home)

All Three!!!


He's a "hands on" Dad! ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, if you are crying now what happens when it is time to ... well... they stop laying and you have to ... deal... with them.

    Notice I did not used the K word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I saw an article about you in the newspaper today. Keeping bees is a very-neglected interest of mine. That'd be awesome if we were allowed to do it in Norfolk. I'm looking forward to following you and your chickens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to come meet your chicks! They look so cute!

    ReplyDelete